Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mariza



Mariza Reis Nunes was born Dec. 16, 1973 in Mozambique, then a Portuguese colony in Africa.
She moved to Portugal when she was 3, and was raised in one of the most traditional quarters of Lisbon, where she learned to sing fado.

Fado (translated as destiny or fate) is a music genre which can be traced from the 1820's.
It is characterized by mournful tunes and lyrics, often about the sea or the life of the poor.

Mariza sings a song so beautiful that it brings me to tears every time I hear it. It reminds me of where I'm from and helps keep me connected to my portuguese heritage. The song is titled "O Gente da minha terra" (Oh people of my land).
The translation to the lyrics of this song follows:

This Fado is both yours and mine
The destiny that unites us
No matter how much it is denied
By the strings of a guitar.

Whenever one hears a lament
Of a guitar's song
One is instantly lost
With a longing to weep.

Chorus:
Oh people of my land
It is now that I have perceived
This sadness which I carry
Was from you that I received.

It would seem a kindness
If I let myself be soothed
The greater the anguish
The less sorrowful my song.

Repeat chorus

2 Comments:

Blogger SummerChilde said...

great post and beautiful song!

January 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger keri marion said...

Long Live the People. Thanks, Borbz. We missed you tonight!

February 1, 2008 at 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home